Thursday, January 17, 2013

Guest Writer Ada McEwan




Allow me to introduce Ada McEwan. I met her on Facebook last year when she was doing some fundraising for her local library where she works. She's a really sweet lady with an interesting swirl of dark sarcasm... We chat a lot on Facebook and she always leaves me with a grin.

When did you find out that you wanted to be a writer? What inspired you to put pen to paper? 

I decided at a young age that I wanted to be a writer.  I had some poetry published when I was in junior high, but I wanted more.  When I was twelve I bought a typewriter, threw all my clothes out of my closet and put my desk in there and wrote. I wrote my first full-length novel about young love and heartbreak.  I know my parents thought I was just going through a phase, but my mother loved my story.  Her encouragement and support made me keep on writing.

How do you decide on character names? 

I base a lot of my names from Norse mythology and from the Germanic (Teutonic) people.  Every once in awhile, I will run across a name that just sticks in my head and I have to use it.

Tell me about your first publication. Who was it with? How did you feel when you got that acceptance?

“The Inheritance” was accepted into an anthology called “Bella Morte” for Hot Ink Press.  I was deliriously happy, I was so proud to be included with so many authors that I loved and admired.

How much of your life and the people you know end up in your work?

It isn’t necessarily about anyone in particular (ok, that’s a big lie, but I won’t say a name!) but I find a lot of the people and the indecencies done by mankind has always inspired me to write about it.  There are a lot of things out there that disturb and bother me and I really let my main character take care of it.  I always say, “For things I cannot change, I write about.”

What projects are you currently working on? Are you willing to share a small excerpt from a work in progress?

 Right now I am currently working on my Raven Hollow series.

Mara could see all the little girls’ faces, ranging from six to twelve years old. She could see the little face of Lilith, her face bruised and broken with tears not quite dry streaking the paths of blood that still ran down her face. Lilith was quiet now and Mara willed her legs to run faster, knowing that Lilith’s time was quickly coming to an end. As she was running, Mara pulled her hammer and ax from her tool belt. She could smell the blood now, the heady scent almost making her sick. She could make the faint outline of his body now, his fair hair almost glowing in the foggy night. He was pummeling the child, angered because Lilith quit screaming and fighting him. Mara sunk the ax into the base of his skull and felt the satisfaction of feeling the bone split under her blade.

Tell us three things about you that are interesting. 

Are you sure you want me to really answer this?!  Well, I am a huge animal lover and I advocate and network for rescues and shelter pets in my spare time.

I am a big nerd, I am considered my hometown’s historian/preservationist, I literally spend hours on end digitizing the towns history.

I am fascinated with the 40’s and 50’s and wish I could of lived in that time period, life was less complicated back then and the clothes and cars were fabulous!

You can follow my blog

My author page on FB

My Amazon author page

And if you like soy candles made by me, check out my Raven Hollow Candles or my Etsy shop 

(I gotta say, Ada's candles are amazing - I like them so much I gave them out as Christmas presents to all my friends because they are wonderful. The Caramel Apple Bake is my favorite so far of the ones I've tried.)

No comments:

Post a Comment